Things are moving along with the guest bathroom reno! Since we saved so much money on the clawfoot tub (only $200!) I felt like we could spend just a little more on the sink, so I went to my stone guy (where I bought the black limestone surround for my firebox) and looked in his remnant section for something to make a sink out of. I wanted a white marble with really heavy veining, like a statuary marble. I found this large remnant slab that I really liked but it was polished and I wanted a honed finish. After finding out the stone was only $10/sq ft I felt like I could afford to have the stone honed, which added only a couple of dollars to the price per square foot. It’s White Horn marble and the veining is so pretty!
I bought a smallish undermount sink from Signature Hardware. The whole sink is 40″ wide and I wanted there to be a shelf and plenty of space on the countertop for putting toiletries, so we decided on something roughly 20″ wide.
I got the sink back from the stone fabricator yesterday and I’m in love!
I think it will look beautiful with the tile we chose (that still needs to get installed!).
The only thing we’re waiting for is the sink base. I found a commercial metal worker just on google maps who was willing to take on side jobs. He was such a nice guy (email me if you want his contact info) and he gave me a great price for the sink base and two side table bases. I gave him a really rough sketch and here’s what he showed me after a really quick work up using 1″ square iron rods. (it’s sitting on a brace here)
Then yesterday I stopped by to check on the new curve and the color. I wanted the sink base to be a dark color to contrast against all the whites in the room. He got the iron a really dark but still industrial feeling black in the upper right corner here below. Just what I was hoping for! And the curve is perfect too. I wanted it to feel a little like hairpin legs. It’s hard to see with the shadows, but I think it’s going to be just right. :)
So after the color goes more uniform and black, the metalworker will build some little tabs to help us connect the sink with the base. Also I’m probably going to have to build some sort of french cleat situation to ensure everything stays where it’s supposed to on the wall, but it shouldn’t be too big of a deal. I’m really happy with the progress so far! Now I just need to get going on all that tile!